2/8/11

Tuesday Book Review

goodreads


This week it's The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera.
I won't lie. I first learned of this book through Gossip Girl. A particularly epic episode last season, or the season before was called ' The Unblairable Lightness of Being' so of course I was intrigued and looked up the book it was based on and checked it out. It was quite fantastic in that ouchy melancholic kind of way.

I'm reading the wikipedia on Unbearable Lightness and it's discussing the philisophical undertones of the book. I'm so not good at stuff like that so I'd love to open this post up to discussion. Have any of you guys read this book?

Apparently it challenges Nietzsche's idea of eternal recurrence, saying that we only live once and our lives and the decisions we make are meaningless and should cause no personal suffering. I have a hard time with this idea. I have pretty much always believed that everything in life is cyclical and holy geez, I hate being told my feelings are meaningless.

Anyways, I didn't pick up any of that from this book. I just remember really feeling for Tereza and hating Tomas. Can anyone explain this philisophical stuff to me? Maybe I should join a book club or something and I can learn to better understand these things. Or maybe its just eternally lost on me.

Either way, I found The Unbearable Lightness of Being to be a fantastic read if you are looking for something serious.

Up next I think I'll finally finish Balzac and then I'm going to try reviewing the chapters of the Bible. That should be many interesting weeks of reviews. I hope. Stay tuned!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment