1/28/11

DIY Friday: Domo Cookies

I found this the other day and fell in love. I just had to try this recipe out. Sadly, my cookies didn't turn out half as amazing looking, but everyone said they're tasty nonetheless. 


Domo Cookie Recipe:

Brown Dough
1 cup + 2 T flour 

1/2 cup sugar 

1/2 cup cocoa powder 

2/3 of 1/2 t baking soda 
1 t salt 
10 T butter, cut into 3/4" cubes, room temperature





Red Dough

1/2 cup + 1 T flour 

1/4 cup sugar 

1/3 of 1/2 t baking soda 

1/2 t salt 
5 T butter, cut into 3/4" cubes, room temperature
a few drops red food coloring 





Directions:
First for the brown colored dough, mix the flour, cocoa powder,sugar, baking soda, and salt together. Add the butter and incorporate it into the dry ingredients until it comes together as a dough. Gather it in a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate it for 10 minutes.




For the red dough, mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Incorporate the butter with a spatula and then add the food coloring, mixing just until no more red streaks remain. Gather the dough and refrigerate for 10 minutes.





In her recipe, she was able to shape the dough into a rectangle with a red portion in the middle and then just sliced and baked. I think I used to much butter and my red dough didn't turn out so firm so I just shaped the brown dough and sliced them. Then I cut out their mouths and spooned in red dough. It worked reasonably well.



You bake them in the oven at 350 for about 12 minutes.  

Her recipe called for a ganache. I went the lazy route and bought some white frosting at the store. I had originally wanted him to have mini chocolate chip eyes, but he turned out larger than expected, so I used black icing for the eyes. 
Very important: let the cookies cool before you decorate. Also make sure people don't make you laugh while you're decorating or you will mess up and your cookie will look rabid. 

 

Then chow down!




Diamonds for Dessert has very nice detailed instructions for the legit ones on her page. Definitely check it out.


I think next time I'll use a sugar cookie recipe. These were good, and probably even better with the chocolate icing, but the way I went, I think they would taste better as sugar cookies. Next time I think I'll make sharks since the teeth I created are very shark like! 

They all had slightly different faces so I had to take a picture of each one!



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment